DAVID J. D’ARATA CPA | CFE
Dave, a certified public accountant and certified fraud examiner, has over 30 years’ experience in providing tax and consulting services to closely-held businesses, high net worth individuals, and the legal community.
Dave heads our business valuation and forensic accounting group. The group works closely with the WNY legal community by issuing business valuations for income tax purposes; litigation support; estate and gift issues; and business sales, mergers and acquisitions. The group also works closely with business and personal clients performing forensic reports for fraud, money laundering and embezzlement investigations; damage and insurance claim calculations; and reconstruction of accounting records.
- Retained by the City of Buffalo to investigate potential embezzlements by city employees
- Provided forensic accounting assistance on numerous theft investigations
- Assisted in the negotiation and structuring of business sales in the manufacturing, service and transportation industries
- Provided expert testimony in business valuation disputes
- Provided Kovel representation for criminal cases
- Developed an estate plan through the use of family partnerships for a high net worth individual that resulted in the sheltering of $5 million in U.S. estate taxes
Dave has also taught numerous seminars, including: “The Foundation for Accounting Education” (NYS Society of Certified Public Accountants), “Tax Consequences of Marital Dissolutions”, and “The CPA’s Role in Divorce Process Conference (Child Support Standards Act: The Accountant’s Viewpoint)”. He has also written a publication entitled, “The Dependency Exemption in Marital Dissolutions,” for The CPA Journal, May 1989.
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Domestic Relations Committee of the NYS Society of Certified Public Accountants, NCAA Frozen Four Hockey Tournament (treasurer) and Cherry Hill Golf Club (past president, past treasurer). Dave is also a member of various advisory boards for selected clientele.
Dave graduated cum laude with a B.B.A. degree in Accounting from Niagara University.